This exhibit is a re-creation of the home of Hobbamock - a Pokanoket man who lived in Patuxet/Plymouth Colony in the 1620's. Hobbamock and his extended family lived across the brook on the south side of the Pilgrims' town. They were the only Native People known to have lived alongside the Pilgrims.
Hobbamock was a councilman to Ousamequin, the sachem(leader) known by this title, Assasoit. Hobbamock served as a liaison between England and Wampanoag.
The 17th-Century English Village is a re-creation of the small farming and maritime community built by the Pilgrims along the shore of Plymouth Harbor. In the Village, the year is 1627, just seven years after the arrival of Mayflower. The Museum selected this year for re-creation because it is well-documented in the historical sources and shows the plantation (a word that was used interchangeably with the word “colony” in the 1600s) just before the colonists began to disperse beyond the walled town and into other parts of what would become southeastern Massachusetts.
The English Village brings colonial Plymouth vividly to life. Here, there are modest timber-framed houses furnished with reproductions of the types of objects that the Pilgrims owned, aromatic kitchen gardens, and heritage breeds livestock. Well informed actors playing townspeople are eager to tell you about their new lives in Plymouth Colony.
The colony has numerous costumed role players portraying actual residents of Plymouth Colony. They have adopted the names, viewpoints and life histories of the people who lived and worked in the Colony in 1627.
The day began in Massachusetts, and then we passed through Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, to end up in Pennsylvania.
Franklin Delanor Roosevelt Monument
This was my favorite monument. I kept thinking that all of the"folks at the Capitol" should stroll through this area and read the quotes.
The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden is an art museum in the National Mall, in Washington, D.C. The museum was initially endowed during the 1960s with the permanent art collection of Joseph H. Hirshhorn. It was my favorite museum in DC.
Drawn from the Hirshhorn's expansive collection, Speculative Forms reconsiders the historical development of sculpture since the early twentieth century and its critique of the autonomy of the object. Including more than fifty works, this exhibition collapses conventional art historical divisions such as figurative vs. abstract; still vs. kinetic; representational vs. simplified geometric; and planar (having modeled or carved surface) vs. stereometric (exposing the internal structure). The objects oscillate between these dichotomies, thus turning one's preconceived notions of sculpture inside out.
Inspired by the philosophical notion of "Speculative Realism," which emphasizes an equal relationship between subject, object, and space, the exhibition highlights the importance of installation and the viewer's eye and the body in relation to the object. The selected works - ranging from the well-known to the rarely exhibited - challenge the modernist notion that sculptures exist isolated from their surroundings. The exhibition follows these threads through Surrealism, Constructivism, Assemblage, Ob and Kinetic Art, Minimalism, and Post-Modernism. The materialist and physicality of the sculptures, on one hand, and their more intangible, phenomenological aspects of the other, raise intriguing questions about the potential limited of the perception of objects and the larger world.
Visitor's Entrance is around the back and through the basement of an adjacent building. After a short mandatory movie we were shuttled from room to room by our group guide. In the two large rotundas there were five or six large groups of people, all with ear phones so they can listen only to their tour guide.
Congressional was not in session so those rooms were not open for viewing.
Statues of people were everywhere and they often crowded the perimeter of large rooms. The Hall of Statues in particular is highly populated with larger than life statues.
It is a desired location today just as it was centuries ago.
Mount Vernon near Alexandria, Virginia was the plantation home of George Washington. The estate is situated on the banks of the Potomac River.
The Washington family had owned land in the area since the time of Washington's great-grandfather in 1674, and in 1739 embarked on an expansion of the estate that continued under George Washington, who came into possession of the estate in 1754, but did not become its sole owner until 1761.
But Washington was determined to overcome these setbacks. With help from his older half-brother Lawrence - a military officer who owned Mount Vernon - and the Fairfaxes, a powerful Virginia family, he began molding his early career, expanding his education, and polishing his social graces."
One of the best horsemen of his age, General Washington took great pride in the horses that carried him throuh the war. He especially favored two: Blueskin, a firey hunter with a blue-grey coat; and Nelson, a chestnut gelding with unshakable nerves.
Dentures - Worn by George Washington, Lead base fitted with cow and human teeth. Although George Washington brushed his teeth regularly, by the time he took the oath of office as president at age 57, he was wearing a full set of dentures. Contrary to popular myth, Washington's false teeth were not made of wood, but of human and cow teeth as well as elephant ivory. The dentures required frequent adjust to function naturally and Washington repeatedly sent them to John Greenwood, his dentist in New York City, for repairs.
Seeing the futility of the practice, Washington set about developing a "system of agriculture" that would provide fertile fields fo high-yielding crops. He replaced tobacco with wheat, experimented with fertilizers, and created an innovative seven-year crop rotation system that successfully maintained the productivity of his fields.
Washington had many ventures going at Mount Vernon including establishing a series of gristmills and creating a large fishery so he could farm the river. As Mount Vernon grew into an 8,000-acre estate, George Washington sought out new ways to fund the expanding operations. In 1797, he began making whiskey on the advice of his farm manager, James Anderson, a trained distiller from Scotland.
Washington soon built one of the largest distilleries in America. At its peak, it produced over 11,000 gallons of whiskey and brought in so much money that it became one of his most successful commercial enterprises.
The cemetery was established during the Civil War on the grounds of Arlington House, which had been the estate of the family of Confederate general Robert E. Lee's wife Mary Anna (Custis) Lee (a great-granddaughter of Martha Washington).
The government acquired Arlington at a tax sale in 1864 for $26,800, equal to $400,000 today. Mrs. Lee had not appeared in person but rather had sent an agent, attempting to pay the $92.07 in property taxes (equal to $1,400 today) assessed on the estate in a timely manner. The government turned away her agent, refusing to accept the tendered payment.
In 1874, Custis Lee, heir under his grandfather's will passing the estate in trust to his mother, sued the United States claiming ownership of Arlington. In December, 1882, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in Lee's favor in United States v. Lee, deciding that Arlington had been confiscated without due process. After that decision, Congress returned the estate to him, and on March 3, 1883, Custis Lee sold it back to the government for $150,000 (equal to $3,221,364 in 2014) at a signing ceremony with Secretary of War Robert Todd Lincoln.
One story that was told to us by the tour guide I had not heard before. He claimed that Maya Linn received a "D" grade from her Yale professor for this design concept.
Lin's conception was to create an opening or a wound in the earth to symbolize the gravity of the loss of the soldiers. The design was initially controversial for what was an unconventional and non-traditional design for a war memorial. Opponents of the design also voiced objection because of Lin's Asian heritage. However, the memorial has since become an important pilgrimage site for relatives and friends of the American military casualties in Vietnam, and personal tokens and mementos are left at the wall daily in their memory. In 2007, the American Institute of Architects ranked the memorial #10 on their list of America's Favorite Architecture.
There are over 18,000 monuments placed along the roads in Gettysburg. It has more monuments than anywhere in the America and it is the site of the bloodiest battles on US soil.
The sites of horrific carnage have returned to peaceful fields populated by monuments.
Fallingwater or Kaufmann Residence is a house designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1935 in rural southwestern Pennsylvania, 43 miles (69 km) southeast of Pittsburg. The home was built partly over a waterfall on Bear Run in the Mill Run section of Stewart Township, Fayette, County, Pennsylvania, in the Laurel Highlands of the Allegheny Mountains.
Time stated after its completion as Wright's "most beautiful job"; it is listed among the Smithsonian's Life List of 28 places "to visit before you die." It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966. In 1991, members of the American Institute of Architects named the house the "best all-time work of American architecture" and in 2007, it was ranked twenty-ninth on the list of America's Favorite Architecture according to the AIA.
The home is privately owned so interior photos were not allowed.
At 86, and hard at work on the Guggenheim Museum in New York, the Beth Shaolom Synagogue in Elkins park Pennsylvania and about 12 residential homes, Wright said he could “shake it (Kentuck Knob) out of his sleeve at will”, never even setting foot on the site, except for a short visit during the construction phase. This would be one of the last homes to be completed by Wright.
The crescent-shaped house curls around a west-facing courtyard, blending into the contours of the land. The anchor of the design is a hexagonal stone core that rises from the hipped roof at the intersection of the living and bedroom wings. The walls of the flat-roofed carport and studio burrow into the knob and define the courtyard’s eastern side. A stone planter terminates the low retaining wall on the west side of the courtyard, and it features a copper light fixture accented with a triangular-shaped shade. To the south, the house extends beyond the hillside on 10" thick stone-faced concrete ramparts. As with other houses Wright designed during this period, the Kentuck Knob plan is based upon a module system, in this case an equilateral triangle measuring 4'-6" to a side creating an outside 240 degree L-plan house.
The next and final blog of this series will cover our trip back across the country with the major stops in Kansas City, Denver, Arches and Canyonlands, Utah.